Forensic evidence collection techniques are advancing at a tremendous rate and the Police Foundation is helping the Bellevue Police Forensic Lab stay ahead of the curve with the purchase of a TFD-2, Thermal Fingerprint Developer. The TFD-2 is a chemical free method for the development of latent prints on paper items.
The TFD-2 is an automated, high throughput device capable of developing latent prints on large quantities of paper. The device raises the temperature of the documents causing a chemical reaction between the fingerprint residue and the paper, producing a fluorescent by-produce visible under ultraviolet light. This system offers the following advantages over other development techniques:
- Latent print can be detected in seconds
- No chemical process required
- Contactless system reduces the risk of cross contamination
- High throughput reduces search time
- Can be uses sequentially with other development processes