One of the goals of this Foundation is to support public recognition of the Bellevue Police Department's successes and achievements. The board decided to honor a police officer with an award each year who has demonstrated a pattern of professional achievement, personal commitment, and strong community service. An officer who has made a significant impact with their dedication and contribution to the department and public safety.
Officer Craig Hanaumi was presented with this award at the March 2015 annual Bellevue Police Foundation Breakfast Fundraiser for his ongoing contributions to the Bellevue Police Department and the Bellevue community. Recognized as the "go-to guy" by his peers, he was born and raised in Honolulu, where he worked as an officer for three years. He has been with the Bellevue Police Department for eight years, serving as the Crossroads Community Station Officer for the last few years.
Officer Hanaumi is sought out by other officers for his outstanding and in-depth knowledge of the community and its citizens, especially the homeless, and kids in at-risk populations. This humble and well-respected officer has for several years used his expertise and passion in martial arts by providing physical training advice and programs to fellow officers, as well as self defense techniques, to help them be as safe as possible on the job.
His dedication to the community has been shown by:
- Working with and mentoring kids at the Bellevue Boys and Girls Club Teen Center.
- Offering self defense technique classes to middle school youth at the Crossroads Community Center, a course which also builds skills for learning how to deal with a bully, resist peer pressure, and teaches discipline and patience.
- Taking a special interest in a troubled teen involved in gangs, and along with other officers, gave this young man support and encouragement. He has now changed his life for the better. A Seattle Times article about this success story and how Officer Hanaumi became a role model for this young man inspired Governor Inslee to write a letter praising him for his efforts, character, and resolve.
Other noteworthy activities include:
- Organizing and working with other police department staff to serve dinners at the Salvation Army Eastside Community Center.
- Pulling together an effort of many to fully furnish an empty apartment and provide a refrigerator and freezer full of food for a mother of four fleeing from an abusive relationship.
Our first award winner has been called the "officer who goes above and beyond again and again." We thank Officer Craig Hanaumi for his many exceptional and continued contributions to the Bellevue Police Department and Bellevue residents.